SUSHI Feature - Bulk Site Creation
This feature enables the bulk creation of subsites based on a site template. To do so, follow these steps:
- First, click "Retrieve Site Templates". This will populate the site template dropdown with all the user site templates. Note that if "only show custom templates" is checked (added as of version 2.23), then only templates which
have been saved to the site template gallery will be included.
- Next, click "Edit sites to create list". This will display the following window in which you can enter the site URL name and site title. Note that you can keep this list in an excel spreadsheet and then copy from Excel and then click "paste
from clipboard" to paste into SUSHI. Click Save.
- Next, click "validate" to have SUSHI show you what it plans to do, and make sure it understands you correctly.
- Next, click "Bulk Site Create" to create the sites. Viola! You now have a lot of subsites all with the designated template. This is a lot faster than creating them all by hand.
- You can also click the "show all site templates" to show all templates including both the display name and the internal name. note that the internal name is what you will need if you'd like to use the STSADM -createweb command. This
will list not only includes the user created site templates, but also the system templates.
- The “delete subsites…” link button will not immediately delete all the subsites. Instead it will display text to execute an STSADM command to delete all the subsites beneath the selected parent site. To run the command, copy the text into a text
file, for example “delete.bat” and then run this batch file from the command line. If you don’t know what I am talking about, then I suggest you don’t use this delete feature. : ). Note that the script does not use the full path to STSADM.EXE. Do you can either
1) add the path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN" to your windows path environment variable, or you can run copy the bat file you created to this directory and run it from there.
- Tip: Use the Themes feature of SUSHI to quickly apply a theme to all your SharePoint sites.