Suggestions for improvement, or things I hate about Sushi

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Dear Mr Sushi,

1) Please, in the "Import Document",  absolutely NO hardcoded blocked filetypes at all.     Nobody knows why you did this.   Apart from the well known .exe, it also seems to reject .hlp and .bat and probably others.    It would be good if you could take this out.   We all know about per web app blocked filetypes in Central Admin

2) Please put a carriage return in the log at the end of every error line which begins, "Error while uploading file...".   Better still, subtract from each error line the string which contains the directory in the line above which begins, "created folder: "

3) In "Import Document", a browse button on the "Source Folder" would be very useful.

4) Sushi really needs some kind of editable table for the translation during an import operation for the renames.   My last import operation resulted in 100+ errors which resulted from files that had names so horrible that Sushi didn't know what to do with them.   The application eventually crashed out without finishing the job.     This is because I'm in an international organization which has files with names from different countries including in cyrillic and slovenian even although the docs are in English inside.    This could all be avoided by just having an editable list of characters and strings with their corresponding translations.    That way you could say any filename character from this row of hieroglyphics should be swapped for an "e" or a "u" or whatever.   It's all currently a bit haphazard.

The Import Document IS the best feature of Sushi and something sadly lacking in Sharepoint in general.

So, if you need money to continue on your present course, I reckon you could make a success of flogging this feature as a modified Sharepoint Document Library template which does it's own imports.

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  These are all great suggestions.  (I was wondering about taking out the first one, since that is governed by SharePoint itself anyway it's not needed).

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM

5)  Change the "Source Folder" to "source spec" so that you can enter  for example,  X:\DIRA\dirb\*.xyz     

This way you can

• do selective import operations which will only take in say the PDF versions of docs which often exist in multiple formats   

Better still, a list spec of the form,  X:\DIRA\dirb\*.xyz;*.pdf;*.xhtml;*.etc

• also have the ability to retry the sometimes very very long list of files rejected as blocked file types.  Especially useful for folk like me who were too stupid to check the blocked file type settings before running a 10 hour import operation.   The alternatives when you've done this are either to spend the rest of your life picking them out of the logfile in order to redo them or restart the import operation from the beginning.

6) A way to say, stop importing when the current source spec being imported matches a predefined end.    Like say, stop when you reach a file called dont-import-me.

7) Change the "file extentions to exclude" into "file specs to exclude". (with also apply to directory specs (yes/no))     That way you can avoid importing rubbish and stuff from directories called LOGS etc

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Is there any possibility the hardcoded blocked file types will be removed in an upcoming release? That would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Seems to be great tool. I don't think it's possible to backup/restore content databases. Would be nice feature as I frequently need to sync test server with my local production server. Thanks! I will be most certainly using this product.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM
It would appear that SUSHI does not yet function with ShP 2013 yet, is that correct?
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
As of right now that's correct. The fix should be similar to the upgrade for 2010, which just redirects to the proper sharepoint dell, but I've not had a chance to spin up 2013 and make the fix.